February 20, 2015

Tools for No School Days



"Frozen Schuylkill River, Philadelphia 2014" by Shuvaev - Own work.Licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0 via Wikimedia Commons

At 5:50 a.m.  this morning I received an email from my principal informing me schools in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia were closed to severe weather conditions. It was +1 with wind chills factored in to -13.  We already lost Tuesday to snow. All this on a short week.

After reading my principal’s email on my phone, I got out my iPad and loaded the Schoology app to post a quick update to all my classes (my guys just love that).  My PC Repair classes were reminded there was a scheduled quiz on the motherboard videos we viewed in class. That quiz is on Schoology and still needs to be completed today.  My Operating Systems Fundamentals students were directed to EdPuzzle to complete a video quiz. I also teach a Tech Communications class and they were directed to Quizlet to get some vocabulary review in today. This group was scheduled to have a Kahoot match today and they were informed it has been rescheduled for Monday.

I finished posting my updates and crawled back under the covers by 6:05 a. m. Later today I will check their progress along with my email. My guys know I check my mail and I have alerts set for emails from our student Google Apps for Education domain.

I am wondering what tools other teachers are using to keep their students engaged in the learning process outside of school? Schoology and EdPuzzle can also be used to Flip faculty meetings and Staff Professional Development.  What possibilities do you see for using these or other tools with your teachers?
Photo credit: 
"Frozen Schuylkill River, Philadelphia 2014" by Shuvaev - Own work. Licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0 via Wikimedia Commons - http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Frozen_Schuylkill_River,_Phi...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...